I hate it when people are dishonest or manipulative.
So annoying.
2 days ago a friend asked if I wanted to attend a "talk" about a new educational online service. Apparently some sort of e-learning tool. His friend was giving the talk. I asked for details but he wouldn't give it to me. He just kept on saying things like 'Just come listen, it's interesting' and 'what do you have to lose? just come'.
I'm never good at rejecting offers or requests from friends. If it were a stranger I would have said a big NO. But since we are friends (he's my junior), I thought what the heck, since it's an educational thing, just check it out rite...
So I went today. It wasn't a talk. More like a one on one discussion. That guy brought a laptop and started talking about their service. LOL it was actually for primary and secondary school students. He was describing how the program works, how parents would get a report on their child's progress, and the cost of the package, etc. So at this point, I thought, OK maybe the company is doing a survey on Uni students, to see if the product is useful since we used to be in high school not too long ago.
Turns out they were trying to get me to sign up for some sort of partnership. You know, as in selling their product for them. My immediate reaction was 'WTF? You have been beating around the bush for over 20 minutes... without a single hint that this is a sales thing', but of course all I did was smile even though I was raged. I did say some sarcastic things though. Like he said, it's important to network and communicate, otherwise what's the point of having a mouth. And my reply was, 'Erm, to eat?'.
This isn't too bad. I was more put off by that guy's attitude. He's only 19, a year younger than me. And he was saying how we should be independent and not rely on our parents for money, suggesting that I was a spoiled brat. He went on to say that he was 'successful', 'very mature' and parents that he talked to were 'impressed by his maturity'. When I heard that, I wanted to puke.
At times he raised his voice and spoke as though he was so great and I was stupid not to sign up.
We had a short debate, then I made an excuse that I had to leave and we said the insincere 'thanks and bye' to each other.
Sigh. Seriously. I was so put off by his methods. Using deception and aggression to promote your company is not wise at all. So much for maturity. And my friend, he knew what was going on because he actually signed up for it recently. He should have given the details to me straight up.
Now the 3 of us wasted our afternoon.
And yes, this is me bitching hahaha. :P
no free meal or drinks? come koala buy u. plus no sales talk. :P
ReplyDeleteHad the same experiences too, friends invited me for lunch and the whole thing starts... and it's not a good time... I had to show my temper just to get off from the talk. The company which I was asked to joined were eventually found out to be a fraudulent scheme and were now disbanded. All my friends who joined lose all their money.
ReplyDeletehahaha...when i read the first paragraph i know what had happened...it's their typical way to fish people....
ReplyDeleteme want to treat you drinks and meal too...no business talk..can??;)
@Koala & Ash: hahaha sure why not, i don't mind if you're buying! LOL :P
ReplyDelete@Jason: wow, these people are so brave.. doing this sort of thing in broad daylight! Lucky you got away!